Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Nice and Nearly Essential - Mum Swag

After doing a bit of a Pinterest clear-out this morning, not only am I inspired to properly clean out my own real-life closets (a task that has been far too long in coming), but I've also had a bit of a think about what sorts of things I'd enjoy having as a soon-to-be new (again) mum. Some of what's made the cut to my list is stuff I already have, but most are things I've had my eye on as nice-to-have versions of useful mum kit.

1) The Sture & Folke comforters look absolutely adorable. The fun tags, the velvet patch, the huge fluffy goodness. If I weren't already so invested in making E a duvet cover, I'd love to have one of these for his bed. As it is, they're also meant to be good for use in the buggy as well, for walks on cold wintery days.

2) Stork Sak bags look amazing. And having seen them in person, I can say that they look just as good for real as they do on the site. My first nappy bag is one my mom bought: it's huge, it has a changing mat, and it has a few good elasticated inside pockets. It's been a brilliant bag, but now, really, it's moving up to be E's overnight bag, and isn't quite up to the task of being a nappy bag for two little boys. The above Tote and the Nina bag both have loads of space - just like our current bag - but they also have bottle warmers and a few more dedicated interior pockets for little odds and ends. I'd have to give it a proper look, but these bags seem like the sort of thing that could keep me - and the boys - organised. And that's a tall order!

3) I've said it time and time again: I really want Chewbeads! I like fun, chunky necklaces, and with another little one on the way who won't take long until he's in the grabbing, pulling, and chewing phase, I don't want to worry for the safety of my jewellery. (In other words, my lovely new Edor necklace will be taking a hiatus soon...) It's nice to have something that's not only sturdy enough to withstand tiny fingers, but is perfectly safe for the inevitable trip into tiny mouths. I had a Fat Face necklace that E used to chew on and I always worried about the paint from the beads coming off in his mouth. That wouldn't be a problem with a Chewbeads necklace.

4) Have I mentioned how stupidly excited I am to try out my new Aden & Anais muslin swaddle? Because I really am. It's huge, soft, cute, and not the sort of precious material that you'd pout over in the event that your sweet little monster sicks all over it. I'm looking forward to seeing just how well it holds up wash after wash; and with such a light and thin material, I think this will always be our dedicated swaddling blanket. You can always add extra layers later on. Of course, I apparently breed children like myself who can still overheat while sleeping in the dead of winter. When E asked the Husband to turn his fan on last night at bedtime (mind you, it's currently the coldest day of the season so far), Husband definitely looked at me and said, 'He's your child!' So, it's nice to know that I can wrap up my next boy without worrying that he'll get too warm in his swaddle.

5) I freaking love my Planet Wise wet bag. Yes: I got it because I cloth diaper, but it's still useful beyond the realms of cloth nappies! I've used it to hold E's soiled and muddy clothing if he gets particularly filthy on an outing: it's nice to know that in a serious emergency (you know the kind I mean) that you can safely tuck away dirty clothes without fear of any lingering smell or transferring stains until you're home to bung everything in the wash. I also regularly take it with us when we go swimming: even the medium-sized bag that we have is capacious enough to hold all of E's wet swimming gear and mine at the end of some time at the pool. Honestly, from the pool, to the muddy park, to the poop-covered emergency stop, I can't recommend this thing enough. Also, I have to give a shout-out of thanks to John & Sherry over at Young House Love for writing the cloth nappy post that put me onto this thing in the first place!

So there you have it; some of the bits and bobs I have - or would love to have - for day-to-day mummying. My next step? To consider the nice nearly essentials for:
-breastfeeding fashion
-cloth diapering
-potty training

After all, I'll be looking forward to those first two again in very short order!

No comments:

Post a Comment