Tuesday, October 29, 2013

(A Belated) Mommy Monday: Pregnancy Style

It's been far too long since I've done one of these. To be honest, I've really let this sort of thing go during this pregnancy. The first time around, you don't have anything at all, so you know that you'll be spending the time and the money to find things that will fit you as you expand over the coming months. The second time around, though, you're only replacing things that wore through the first time, or perhaps adding in pieces for a different season.

I, however, will be having my second boy in a season not too dissimilar from my first, so aside from a pair of new maternity jeans and replacing a good bra, there wasn't too much that I really needed to have this time around. Plus, when you're spending most of the time chasing a toddler as well as gestating a new person, there are times where what energy you have left just doesn't go towards looking your best. Lately, though, I've wanted to change that.

Outfit 1)
  Top: Mamas & Papas
  Scarf: Vienna Naschmarkt
  Cardigan: Mistral
  Jeans: H&M
  Boots: Clarks

I loved this outfit when I discovered I could put it together. It suddenly felt so effortless to look like my usual self that I wondered why I hadn't made the extra few minutes' effort sooner. And I love anything that allows me to find a way to work in non-maternity pieces. That way, my wardrobe feels more versatile and I can save money not buying things I can only ever wear when I'm 6 months gone or more!

Outfit 2)
  Scarf: Bath Fashion Museum
  Jumper: Next
  Jeans: Mamas & Papas
  Wellies: Debenhams

I'm a sucker for big scarves. This was a birthday present to myself on our trip to Bath the other year. The giant fluffy layers of mint and cream polka dots are fun and they nicely add a pop of colour to what is quickly becoming a very neutral-heavy wardrobe. The jumper is one I snagged in the Boxing Day sales on our first Christmas after getting married. I loved it when I saw it, then hardly wore it since. This pregnancy, I seem to have rediscovered my love for it, and I'm sure it'll be making many more appearances before the end of the year.

Outfits 3)
  Top: Laura Ashley
  Gillet: Target
  Leggings: Sainsbury's
  Socks: M&S
  Boots: Clarks

I took E out yesterday to do a bit of shopping (we needed blank cards for all the birthdays rapidly approaching) and decided to make a pit stop into Laura Ashley. When I saw this top on the 60% off rack, I had to try it on. Not only was it a steal, but even in my usual size it accommodates my bump nicely; meaning it works usually, maternity, and during the infamous and transitional Fourth Trimester.

Speaking of the fourth trimester, I have a special place in my heart for the Fourth Trimester Bodies project. It's our right to feel how we want about our bodies, but I love projects like this for reminding us that feeling ashamed or inadequate shouldn't be the assumed condition for everyone. There's a much wider spectrum to what's normal and beautiful than we sometimes give credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment