Thursday, April 4, 2013

In the Kitchen: Pumpkin Muffins



I can't believe I've gone this long on the blog without mentioning my recipe for pumpkin muffins! But then, my mum did just leave me with nearly a year's supply of tinned pumpkin, so if ever there was a time to share my love of this particular squash, now is it.

I love these things: as far as foods go, they're one of the oldest and fondest memories I have. (Though my mum's Christmas cookies all have a special place in my heart.) The recipe, as with many of my favourite baked things, comes from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.

Originally, the recipe is for pumpkin bread, but I've never bothered do whip up this particular confection in loaf form. Here then, with my own slight modifications, is Fannie Farmer's pumpkin bread recipe:

Yield: 12 muffins (or 1 9x5x3" loaf)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar (I use 1/2-3/4 cup...you don't really need more than that.)
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
(1/2 cup chopped nuts...I never add these, but you can if you'd like.)

1)Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
2) Sift together the dry ingredients.
3) Mix up the eggs, spices, oil, water, and pumpkin, then add to the dry ingredients.
4) Line your tin with muffin cups, or butter your loaf pan. I've found, though, that if you have a good non-stick tin, you're not necessarily worse off if you forget to butter the muffin tins or loaf pan.
5) For 12 muffins, bake for about 25 minutes. For a loaf, bake 50-60 minutes. Either way, if a skewer comes out clean, you're good to go.
6) After a minute or two (just long enough to cool ever so slightly), pop your muffins or loaf out of the tin and onto a cooling rack. You can consume them as hot or room-temperature as you'd like: they're delicious either way!
7) Enjoy plain, or with butter, or with cream cheese, or with this gorgeous cream cheese frosting!
via, Not So Humble Pie
If you do make this one, have fun with it! I hope it turns out well. E and I are definitely enjoying some warm muffins on this unseasonably snowy day. Seriously, English weather: get the memo. It's supposed to be spring!

Snow again? Honestly...

No comments:

Post a Comment