Friday, February 8, 2013

Dressing Up Baby

If there's one thing I've noticed being the mother of a little boy, it's that little boys get the shaft when it comes to the clothing department of just about any store. When searching out a pair of jeans with a belt at the end of last summer, I popped into Tesco with my mother-in-law. Honestly, there were about 6 aisles' worth of little girls clothing, and 2 aisles of stuff for baby boys. It's the same in Sainsbury's: 4 aisles of girls clothes to 1 aisle of boys clothes. It's pathetic. After all, it's not as if the little girls and boys are very fashion conscious themselves at this point: it's all about their parents. And surely mothers of sons want to dress their babies up just as much as mothers with daughters. At least, on the whole.

So I am determined to find nice-looking clothes for E. Not that he doesn't have some already: my family and friends who bought him clothes have been great on that score. But he's also not going to fit those clothes forever, and I want to make sure I know what our options are as he gets bigger. So from now on, I'll try to post on a regular basis about places I find that have a decent selection of clothing for boys. I'll include stores online, as well as stuff in the States and here in the UK. And if anyone has suggestions on places to look, I'd love to hear them in the comments!

My first stop? Next.


1) A nice graphic tee, hoodie, and jeans. It's a simple outfit, but it's great. If nothing else, I've learned that putting E in layers is really the way to go, especially in colder weather or on days that we go to play group. When something inevitably spills, or he gets into the water tray, at least he hasn't soaked the only top he has on.
2) I know this is incredibly preppy, and if you're not up for brightly-coloured chinos, there is a khaki option as well. Funnily enough, most of the time over here, if you're getting smart clothes for a little boy and there's a tie involved, the outfit is almost always a 3-piece suit. It's nice to see something a little less stiffly formal.
3) A trendy jumper (complete with t-shirt underneath) is always a nice thing to have. It just helps to have a slightly smarter option as a light layer, especially for things like church, weddings, or smart parties. And jeans with a pair of braces are adorable. I got E a similar pair for his birthday...

rocking it like a boss.
So there you have it: a good place to stop with lots of options to dress a baby boy. Not sure what my next store will be, but I'll definitely share my findings with everyone. In the meantime, feel free to check out Next's collection online (and do take a peek at a few things for yourself or your home as well!).

*(Note: I just love this store. Aside from giving me a voucher for online shopping the last time I was in store buying E clothes, they probably don't know I exist, so I haven't been compensated to talk about how awesome their clothes are.)

No comments:

Post a Comment