Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Teethses, Precious...and other things.

After catching sight of the progression of E's baby fangs the other night, we couldn't resist this Hobbit-themed joke:

The holidays finally feel like they're over for us. We took my sister back to the airport on Sunday, E's baby group restarted on Tuesday, I'm officially in the midst of my new running schedule for the Fleet Half, and the last of the Christmas cookies are being slowly devoured with copious amounts of Nutella. (Seriously: speculaas and Nutella: get on that jam ASAP!)

So with the holidays over, and real life at last reasserting itself, I suppose I ought to get to grips with my New Year's resolutions...such as they are. I'm sure I've already pointed out that I'm not really a resolutions sort of gal. I tend to forget about them by Valentine's Day - if I've been particularly virtuous and committed - and go the rest of the year without so much as remembering that I made resolutions; let alone feeling guilty about not keeping them.

Here are a few of the things I'm tentatively committing myself to doing this year: and they all fall under the heading of, "being happier/enjoying my life".

via, Sunkissed Dreams at Tumblr
1) Have painted nails more often. I have plenty of cute colours of nail polish, and I don't wear them nearly enough. If I can mange to keep it from getting chipped after 24 hours, I feel just a little bit more put-together even on days where I don't give my appearance much effort.

via, Preposity at Tumblr
2) Make more time for fun reading: fiction and non-fiction. So far so good on this one: the Husband and I have both committed to having 30 minutes of Book Time before bed on nights when we're in (read: pretty much every night). Once I'm done giving the pithy and eloquent Christopher Hitchens a good read, I think I'll move on to Richard Dawkins's The Selfish Gene, give Elizabeth Cline's Overdressed a once-over, and reacquaint myself with Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo, for old times's sake. If you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

via, my Pinterest
3) Run a half marathon. Technically, this goal came with a caveat attached. When I suggested running a half marathon to the Husband, I stipulated, "I want to do it before we have another baby." Well, since we're not currently incubating Baby Dick #2, I'm on track with this one, so long as I finish the Fleet Half Marathon in March.

via, Design*Sponge (a great post about de-cluttering!)
4) Be more organized. The Husband and I would both like this to happen. We're not quite on the level of being packrats, but we could definitely stand to reduce the amount of clutter in our home. (I could also stand to dust more, but that's a challenge for another day...) We really would like to be the sort of people who legitimately have "a place for everything, and everything in its place". Since we're planning a huge tidy-up for one of the coming weekends, here's hoping it won't be too long before this goal starts to take shape.

via, Google image search
5) Practise more often. I'd love this goal to read "be as good as I was back in college"...but I'm trying to be realistic. I have a kid now, and he takes up quite a lot of my time. Then there's running, keeping a tidy house, errands, friends, church...I know I don't have the time to commit to my talent that I had as an undergrad. As much as I lament that I can't just shut myself away for 2 hours to bash through some Bach or Faure, I love my life now...I just need to work my music into that more than I have to date.

via, Anoushka Matus
6) Spend more time playing & teaching. E is, without a doubt, the best thing I've ever done. Though, obviously, he's far from "done" in any sense of the word. So especially as he develops more and more skills and more of his personality, I want to make sure I'm really actively helping him to become whoever he wants to be. More trips out of the house, more time playing with blocks and stacky cups, and more books read together: that's what I want for him out of this year.

And in the end, all of these things are really just me working towards my ultimate goal:

via, Fox on the Run at Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment