Wednesday, October 17, 2012

More Birthday Prep

Today I finished another one of my projects for E's birthday party next weekend: the bunting. Now usually, bunting would be the sort of thing that would take ages to complete: it would involve pinking shears and pins and the iron and a sewing machine. Not this time. Since not every birthday will be autumnally-themed, I decided to take the easy way out and go with some paper bunting. I can BluTac the stuff to the wall over the couch and just take it down again with no fuss once the party is done. Plus, it was the sort of project I could tackle in just a few nap times's worth of effort.

I'll be honest here: precision isn't always my strong suit, and this was one of those times. I estimated some vaguely equilateral triangles and started cutting up the cardstock. My colour palate? Candy corn!

via, The Celebration Shoppe
via, Funky ShiQue on Etsy
Granted, while I would have loved to have the burlap bunting up above from Etsy store Funky ShiQue, I'd already made my big-ticket purchase for this party and that came in the form of a 10' burlap table runner from the brilliant Etsy vendor, Rayna Lane Inc. I mostly let myself get the table runner since A) I've wanted one for ages, and B) I can use it for more than one birthday party. So the bunting was destined to be a DIY affair.


Obviously, with just over a week to go, I haven't put this up on the wall yet, but this is - pretty much - the finished product. The lettering was printed on cardstock and then cut out with a slight border. The border wasn't so much for aesthetic reasons as it was for the fact that I didn't want to ruin a letter trying to make too detailed of a cut and then have to print the thing all over again. If you're wondering about the font, I just used Lobster 1.3 in all caps.

Next project? Some bats for the walls and finishing my spooky branch & chestnut centrepiece...

via, Thrifty Decor Chick

No comments:

Post a Comment