Sunday, September 23, 2012

All the Yummy Things


Every now and then I have a desperate need for Mexican food. Spicy beef, salty nachos, warm tortillas, molten cheese-flavoured tar: it's all good. So the other day, the Husband suggested we whip up tacos for dinner. We went to the grocery store, got down the world foods aisle, and stopped. Sure, technically, taco seasoning mix wasn't expensive...but realistically, why pay for it when we realised I had all the ingredients to make our own back at home? At least, that was our resoning. So, I glanced at the back of the two packets we'd been trying to decide between, made a mental note of the ingredients I'd need, and popped them back on the shelf, leaving the store a whole 99p richer for not buying the pre-packaged mix.




I decided that since this was going to go in the blender (who wants taco meat with chunks in it?), I'd make it up as a paste rather than a powder. Besides; using certain fresh ingredients had already ruled out a dry mix anyway. The small attachment on the blender set and ready, here's what I snagged from my spice rack:
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbl ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayene pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper

I tossed these in and added:
6 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion (diced)
a sploosh of olive oil (we use scientific measurements here)

Those things all got mixed in the blender and then added to about 1kg (or 2 lbs) of ground beef. You just add the paste while the beef browns, drain the fat, and you have delicioso taco beef (though you could use this on chicken, too!) ready to be stuffed in a shell and adorned with your favourite combination of toppings. I'm usually a cheese-salsa-lettuce kind of girl.

If you test this one out, I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment