Friday, August 17, 2012

The Calm After the Storm

Wow, it feels like ages since I've last checked in! On Monday, Ethan and I went to play group, then came back for lunch, only to go down early for a nap and then, well...

...Yeah. The little monster was sick. I mean, really honestly pathetically sick. Once you get over the nose-wrinkling disgust that walking half a mile home covered in your child's vomit occasions, you just feel so sympathetic. We got home, threw our clothes in the laundry and relaxed in a bubble bath: a highly recommended treatment for any illness, in my book. Especially when you follow up the bath with a movie and some cuddling.

Alas, Ethan still wasn't feeling better and spent the night kindly returning everything we tried to feed him - which was mostly watered-down juice or milk. Once we got some rehyration medicine from the GP, he started seeming a bit like his normal self...though it did take a while for his normal schedule to reassert itself. Just today we've had our naps at 9:30 and 13:30, meaning we're as close to normality as it's possible to get with a nearly-10-month-old.

Then, of course, I've been cleaning manically today. Why? Well, we have the first chance in ages to really live it up over the weekend and I intend that we make the most of it. Winchester, perhaps? Somewhere else nearby? I'll definitely tell you after the fact. Plus, Sunday is our nephew Henry's first birthday; so we'll head up to Reading for that. But then the Husband is off to the States for a few days on business, leaving the little dude and I all on our lonesome. We think a trip to see the grandparents at their new house (!!!) will be in order. All in all, it's been a crazy few days, and it's only going to keep being a bit wacky for us. Oh! And of course, once the Husband comes back, there's ward camp, then after about a week and a half my lovely little sister will be joining us for a fortnight! Yup: Ethan's Auntie Victoria is making a pitstop with us before she goes to start her graduate programme in Vienna, Austria. What can I say? We're jet-setters in this family. We're international women of mystery and all that jazz.


All that said, I'll have to be especially vigilant about keeping up with posts in the coming weeks. There will certainly be tonnes of interesting adventures to share. Especially once the husband and I agree on which half marathon to sign up for! Did I not mention this yet? After reading this post by John of Young House Love the other day, I really got back on my promise to myself that I'm going to run a half marathon before we have our next kid. Blenheim's half marathon is on the 7th of October...a bit soon, really, but Reading, Farnham, Basingstoke, Henley, Wokingham, and Fleet all have half marathons coming up, too. So once we've made our decision, training will commence in earnest. I'm actually really excited. Running - like cooking - is the sort of thing I used to hate but now really enjoy. Especially running in races. My time is always rubbish because I'm a slow runner, but it's such a fun atmosphere that you don't mind how much you're working to finish. And that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment