Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Thank You Very Very Much

So, I was going to post about the second part of my snazzy storage-chest-to-storage-bench makeover, but seeing as I'm not finished yet (and thus can't put up any awesome opossum-worthy "after" shots of the whole to-do) it's going to have to wait until tomorrow or Friday. Soz. :-/


Sad faces! (That is definitely the cutest sad face I've ever seen.)

Anyway, I do have something to talk about today...and that was inspired by something I mentioned in yesterday's post. Thank You cards. Well, cards in general, but since we've made shed tons of Thank Yous in the past year, let's start there, shall we?

To seriously begin at the beginning, I have to note that it's Seb's fault that we don't buy ready-made cards any more. I don't blame him in an angry way for this: it's been fun! But he ruined most store-bought cards for me by both making his own so much cooler and pointing out the high percentage of hopelessly cheesy, ugly, naff, or otherwise redunkulous cards in every store. When his cousin got married, we searched for half an hour in one store that didn't have much more floor space than our living room and couldn't find a single card without A) furry little animals, B) ugly champagne glasses,or C) furry little animals toasting ugly champagne glasses. This experience reminded us how hopeless most card shopping is. Unless, you can find cute ones like this:


Our card making skillz have even left us so picky that we designed and made our own wedding stationary. Invites, RSVP cards, Thank Yous...you name it, I designed it in PowerPoint and collected the family sweatshop to assemble it.




Oh, and those were our Christmas cards from back in 2009 and 2010. See what I mean? Nice, simple, no cheesy poem...if you have the patience not to get glue everywhere (which I sometimes don't) you really can't go wrong making your own cards. Especially because about half of our best cardstock came from just 2 trips to Target over the course of about 3 years. How impressive does that feel? Granted, when we do printed cards (like the Thank Yous I'm excited to show you), we tend to use a slightly less-fancy white card for the base and then print our home-made amazingness on some photo paper. But either way, the supplies are dirt cheap, last you for ages, and produce some cards that are way more fun than most things you can buy in the store.


Bam! Check it out, people! Our latest adventure into the realms of home-made card gods. With lovely cards from family and family friends remembering our first anniversary, we realised that we needed some Thank Yous pretty darn quickly. Turns out, even more than usual, all those spiffy free fonts I found were quite the life-saver. Ten minutes in PowerPoint with the fonts, a few colours, and the circle-drawing tool left me with these babies. Printed out on some photo paper and then mounted with some Scotch sticky squares onto white card, they made fairly swish Thank Yous that are now ready to be filled with whatever message we choose and sent to their lucky recipients. And I didn't even have to waste the time and money on going to the crap shop card shop!

Oh, and because I like this so much, here are the two versions I made...in case you're in one of those "crap,I need a thank you card!" type panics. The first is the A4 version...you know, for those of you with tall and slender UK format paper. The second is the 8.5x11" version that I tweeked for everyone who still finds that size paper normal. (I've been here waaaay too long, and I don't even notice how tall and skinny the A4 paper looks now...it's 8.5X11" that looks weird to me.)

A4 Thank You goodness:
8.5x11" Thank You sweetness:

Now, I've posted these trusting to two things: A) that when you click on the pictures, they go to their normal size, and B) that their normal sizes aren't too small.Why is too small a problem? No one wants the pixelly aliased look that comes from printing an image that was so small that it had to be zoomed in 300%. So, my hope is that these .pngs are big enough that the anti-aliasing on the fonts holds up to print them at their normal size. Of course, you could always turn them 90* and half the size; getting you twice as many cards for your trouble.

Until next time! (When I can hopefully show you the refurbished coffee table/bench in all its glory...)

No comments:

Post a Comment