Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why I Shouldn't Be Allowed to Teach Seminary



It's the last week of the Seminary year and I'm teaching...again. Why can't I just say no? Nancy Regan lied...it's not that easy.

But, in the spirit of end-of-the-school-year fun, We've jazzed up the last few lessons. One category in Seminary Jeopardy was "Prophets' Beards", in which my students had to guess who a given prophet was by only seeing an outline of his facial hair. That round was a big hit. And it made up for the round about the pioneers' trip to Utah, which had lots of hard church history questions in it.

Today's lesson was about my childhood in the church - and of most people of my generation: we talked about Gordon B. Hinckley. He was President of the Church from 1995 to 2008, and while he did lots of amazing and inspiring things, I didn't hold my students' interest with stories of his exploits round the world. Nope: I kept them entertained by putting funny sunglasses on the Apostles.

To be fair, the whole point of the exercise was to see if they could name all 12 Apostles with part of their faces obscured. It was just much more fun to obscure their faces with Kanye West shades.

I think when this gets back to the Bishop, I've officially found a tactful way out of ever being asked to teach Seminary again. Victory!

Personally, seeing Neal A. Maxwell in the Dame Edna shades makes my day...and I can be satisfied that my cheesy gimmick got the kids to pay attention; which is no mean feat at 7:00 in the morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment