Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Our Favourite Reads: Third Edition


There are a few other books I've been meaning to get to in this series, but I had to make sure that I got to these before they go back to the library tomorrow.
La Petite Princesse Nulle is a great find. This poor little princess is told that she's rubbish at everything, so when her parents try to find her a husband, all the suitors run off as fast as their legs will carry them. But in the end, it doesn't matter how different or 'rubbish' she seems: someone is happy with her just the way she is. Such a good lesson for kids.

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen took a bit of time to grow on me. At first I remember saying, 'Seriously? This thing won awards? It's so weird.' But on a second (and third and fourth and sixty-fifth) reading, I can see its charm. The bear has lost his hat and is sure he'll never find it again. But with a little help, he realizes he does know what's happened to his hat and sets off to get it back. The book's deadpan humor and simple, artsy illustrations make it fun to read. And for a kid who's just a year-and-a-half old, it strikes that fine line of being not too short, but not too long. You've won me over, Mr. Klassen.

Next installment? Another offering from our favourite author and a fun new find from the Tate Modern that was vindicated on one of my favourite blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment