Wednesday, April 24, 2013

In the Kitchen: Sour Cream Cornbread


I've been eating this cornbread recipe my whole life. Wondering where it came from? No surprises: the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. When I made chili the other week, we ran out of tortilla chips and I decided to make some cornbread instead.

In the book there are five recipes for different types of cornbread. The one that I always stick with is the rich corn cake.

1 cup yellow cornmeal (I prefer the Washington foods brand. It's just the right consistency)
1 cup flour
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs, well beaten
4 tablespoons butter, melted

1) Preheat the oven to 425°F/210°F and butter a 9×9×2" pan. I used a loaf tin last time because I halved the recipe. Usually, though, I use my small Le Creuset casserole dish.

2) Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar, & salt. Mix well.

3) Quickly add the sour cream, milk, eggs, & butter. Stir just enough to mix the ingredients.

4) Spoon into the pan and bake for 20 minutes.

5) Cool, cut into squares or slices, and enjoy!
So tasty...

No comments:

Post a Comment