Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Holiday Running Streak, Week 1

Well, as of my run today, I've now managed to keep up the first 7 days of the #RWRunStreak that I committed myself to doing. I have to confess, it's been loads easier to go run each day than I thought it might be. Especially once you just resign yourself to dealing with any rubbish weather that might come along.

All kitted out to run in the rain!
Thursday (Thanksgiving): This was the first day of my holiday running streak, and not only was I off at the in-laws's house (complete with a huge hill to run), but I was the one cooking Thanksgiving dinner! I managed to get out on a run just between getting the pies out of the oven and putting the turkey in. Mileage: 1.6 miles.

Friday: Still at the in-laws's, I decided on an easier and shorter route. Just a brief 9:50 to the roundabout and back...counting in the time I stopped to take pictures & skip the iPod back to play Band-Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas? again. So bad it's good! Mileage: 1 mile.

Saturday: Back home at this point, the weather had turned vile. I borrowed the Husband's jacket and ear warmer...and iPod, actually, to drag myself along a quick circuit of the brook. Funnily enough, having on all the swish running gear really psyched me up and pushed me to do more than just the bare minimum. Mileage: 2 miles. 

Sunday: The Husband was being a good support. Even though he'd forgotten I needed to run until I insisted on going to get it done after church, he cheered me on out the door and promised to have my lunch ready in the slightly-less-than-10-minutes it would take me to come back. For the last 100 metres, I raced our neighbours's son around our building: he was thrilled. Mileage: 1 mile.

Monday: This time, it was easiest to incorporate the run into a routine I already had for the day. Rather than doing a separate mile, I made my run the route into town to grab some supplies from the grocery store. Sometimes it's good to combine this initiative with things I need to do anyway. Mileage: 2.2 miles.

Tuesday: Time for another run-and-errands. I popped E in his jogger and did a quick loop to drop some cards in the post for the Husband. After that brief 1.6 miles, we got out later in the evening to meet the Husband for the usual Family Run after work. Going twice in one day made me feel especially virtuous. Mileage: 4.75 miles.

Wednesday: After a busy morning, I postponed today's run until after some lunch. Being curled up on the couch with a sandwich, crisps, Twix, and Downton Abbey is my idea of some relaxing alone time! E and I rolled out the jogger again and did a quick sprint through the neighbourhood to drop some glass in the bottle bank. Mileage: 1 mile.

And, for those of you who are more visual, here are this week's Instagram snaps. Because, as we all know: pics, or it didn't happen.


Well, Week One finished, it's time to keep going strong for Week Two: and the week's highlight of the Grim Challenge! The in-laws are coming to watch E while the Husband and I race through the mud, so I'll be sure to enlist my father-in-law to get some quality snaps of us, post-race, covered in wet and filth. I'm already looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment