Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Halfsies Part Six: Green Light

As I said I would, I actually phoned up my GP's office to book an appointment and dragged myself down there just to say, "hey, my hips hate me since birthing this baby, but I want to run a half marathon: is that okay?" Thankfully, my GP said that it is, in fact, okay. She said that most of the reason they still hurt is because 1) the joint at the front of my pelvis is still coming back together, so 2) it's a bit weaker than normal, so I feel it more when I run. Basically, I just keep on keeping on, and maybe do a bit of yoga on the side to help strengthen and stretch all the ligaments around that area.

Yoga for Runners via, Fit Sugar
So it looks like routines like this one are going to be a big part of my future. I made the executive decision that I'm going to run 6 days this week to really get my bum back in gear. I started off with a gentle 2.2-miler yesterday on my usual track around the brook. Oh yeah, if that sounds moderately confusing: turns out the canal I've kept referring to is actually, technically, a brook. At least, that's what all the official signage says.

Also, yesterday ended up being brilliant for running! I know I'd said that the day was pretty miserable and yuck-tastic when I blogged earlier, but eventually the rain cleared up, the sun came out, and the day stayed lovely and cool. So by the time the Husband got home, allowing me to run on my own, conditions were perfect. (Just saying that phrase makes me think of Flight of the Conchords...)

The real challenge to all of this is going to be making the time for long runs as a family on Saturdays. Today and Thursday - as we've already sort of established - are family runs where E and I take the jogging stroller to meet the Husband coming from work. So that gives me a good excuse to get 2 of my 6 runs out of the way already. Seriously, the running itself should be the hard work: just make everything else about it as easy as possible. Bring a water bottle, get an iPod armband, find a friend, convince yourself you'll enjoy it, enter a race so you have to train, bribe yourself with treats: just go run! At least, that's my philosophy.

In the meantime, I have a sleeping baby, which means I have time to do the laundry, tidy the bedroom, and do some reading. That is, provided I stop just watching him sleep. He's so cute when he sleeps! Okay, off to enjoy my grown-up time...

No comments:

Post a Comment