Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Faint Rustle of Dying Leaves...

While the temperature may still be reaching summer-like highs during the day, make no mistake: it's nearly autumn. Wait, let me try that again: IT'S NEARLY AUTUMN!!1!!!11! Alright, now that my inappropriate internet enthusiasm has been thoroughly expressed, let me get on to the point:

I love autumn. It is unequivocally my favourite time of the year. The weather is crisp, but not freezing, I can wear all of my cute boots and jackets and jumpers, and - hello!? - pumpkin picking! Not to mention I can bake pumpkin-flavoured anything, have hot cocoa every day, and cook a gorgeous Thanksgiving dinner. Plus, autumn has the best weather for running. I really can't find anything wrong with this season, can you?

via, my Pinterest boards
Yesterday was the first day I've had to break out my faux leather jacket to go run an errand. I even got to pop on the lovely sea-foam green scarf I bought myself for my birthday in Bath. The cooler weather always puts me in a good mood, and this year, my good mood seems to have manifested itself in a desperate need to bake.


Seriously. I just spent half an hour trolling Teh Interwebz and pinning new recipes for things I intend to make over the coming weeks. I even have some great excuses: my sister is staying with us for the better part of a fortnight on her way to being an awesome opossum Fulbright scholar in Vienna; Ethan's first birthday is at the end of October; I'm planning Relief Society activities that will require some tasty refreshments; and the best reason of all: because I feel like it, dammit! (Yeah...that just felt like it needed an extra bit of verbal punctuation. A bit like Clark Gable's parting line in Gone With The Wind.)

Frankly, my dear...

because he hasn't been seen round these parts in far too long.
I don't think I'm being terribly over-ambitious, considering that my last two boundary-pushing experiments - making brownies from scratch, and making a cake from scratch - both turned out quite successfully, if I do say so myself. But, I'll let the pictures do the talking from here on out: my only dilemma is which tasty treat to try first. Rest assured, you'll hear all about it when I decide.

Scrummy bagels, via The Sophisticated Gourmet
Rustic Nectarine Tart, via Martha Stewart
Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle, via Taste of Home
Apple Crumble, via Jamie Oliver
Herbed French Fries, via Saveur

No comments:

Post a Comment