Monday, June 18, 2012

Barenaked Walls

If there's one thing I don't like, it's blank white walls. They're so soulless and uninteresting. This is why our home is covered in pictures. The only room that now has no art hanging on the walls is the bathroom...and that may change in the course of time, too.

Anyway, the room that was hardest to work on was our bedroom. Next to our bed is one huge blank wall. The only problem? It forms a tiny aisle between itself and the edge of our bed, so anything too low-hanging would feel intrusive and get in the way when I climb in and out of bed. Not ideal.

In the end, I decided that the best way to deal with this would be to level the art I hung with the shelf the Husband put above our bed back at the beginning of the year. So, I played with a few arrangements that involved a level lower border and got to work. The trick for hanging things without having to make 4 nail holes per picture? I marked the hooks with painter's tape and then positioned the frames on the wall, leaving the tape behind to mark where I needed to hammer in my nail. I'll be honest; this trick sounds great, and with practise I'll get it down, but this first time I did have to re position the nail for one of my frames a few times. I'm pretty happy with the end result though:


The pictures?
Far left: An old postcard from the Freer & Sackler Galleries at the Smithsonian. I think it's a Byzantine image of St. Peter and St. Paul.
Middle: A lovely print from TheDriftingBear of the latitude and longitude coordinates of where we got engaged. It also has the date and the place name - Holland Park back in London. That one's just fun. I like art that has a story behind it. (PS - for those in the US, TheDriftingBear has an Etsy site with prices in USD!)
Top right: Another Freer& Sackler postcard; this time of Jesus on Palm Sunday.
Bottom right: I am the postcard queen. This one is from our trip to Bath on my last birthday.

We might expand this little arrangement; it might stay the way it is. We're not sure for the moment, but we're definitely loving the way it looks for now. (Sorry I don't have a wider shot of the whole room for you...it's a bit messy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment