Tuesday, April 10, 2012

We Wish You A Happy Easter...

Yes. That was sung to the tune of We Wish You A Merry Christmas. You now have that tune stuck in your head courtesy of the lovely Husband.

So: this past weekend was Easter. From the evening of Maundy Thursday through Easter Monday we were off visiting my in-laws up in Oxfordshire. Seeing as how all but one of our generation were there (he's off in France doing missionary work at the moment), it was a fantastic time. We played with babies, took pictures, played Balderdash, ate our weight in chocolate, and generally had a great time together. I always feel a bit guilty, but it's brilliant having a whole host of people to whom I can pass Ethan when I need a break or simply two free hands. He's pretty keen on it as well: my little boy is definitely a people person...just ask the seven or eight old ladies he charmed during church on Sunday.

Something I discovered during our Easter weekend was that I now have another feather to put in my hippy mom cap: I like making my own baby food. It's not because I don't trust the jarred stuff you can buy at the grocery store, it's just really easy and - the clincher - it's cheap. Just leave some veg to boil or chop up a few fruits and dump them into the blender and voila! You have baby food. Having bought about 2 weeks' worth of jars, I now have all the empty containers I need to just purée my own mush. Plus, it's an excuse to buy more fresh fruit and veg that the Husband and I will have to eat as well. Though pretty soon, I'm going to have to start just steaming things and letting E hold them on his own. A surfeit of drool lately has me thinking that teeth are rapidly approaching on the horizon, so learning how to chew is about to become our next challenge.

But, ladies and gentlemen, Easter is not over. Oh no. Because it's not fully and officially Easter without a viewing of The Ten Commandments. How can you celebrate the Resurrection without a bit of Charleton Heston in a four foot cotton-wool beard? You can't. So some night this week between hitting the gym to atone for this weekend's grievous chocolate-covered sins and putting together the mother of all PowerPoint presentations, I need to get my Yul Brynner on. As the man himself said, "so let it be written; so let it be done."

Other best part of the weekend: BFF time!

1 comment:

  1. The Ten Commandments was on TV this past weekend and all I could think of was us saying, "Moses, Moses, Moses..."

    ReplyDelete