Monday, July 4, 2011

Say It With Firecrackers

"On this Day of Independence, on this Independence Day"...how about you watch one of my favourite clips from one of my favourite movies?

I don't remember when we first found Holiday Inn, but my mom and sister and I have loved it ever since. This clip is from the 4th of July celebration in the movie, and essentially, it's just Fred Astaire being a boss. It kills me how easy he makes this whole routine look.


My own 4th of July is going to be a bit less exciting than all that. The Husband is off at a workshop for a BS business course he has to take through work, so rather than stay home alone all day like a pregnant loser, I'm imposing on the hospitality of my friend Kari. Good thing there's another ex-pat around here that I like! Don't get me wrong, I love the friends we've made over here, but it's times like this where I realise that I'm surrounded by English people! People who don't get the importance of a pancake breakfast in the church parking lot followed by some patriotic sing-alongs and then a family cookout in the afternoon fuelled by burgers and root beer. Who don't know at least some of the words to "You're a Grand Old Flag." (Go on, keep singing it in your head...you know you want to.) People who reserve fireworks for the winter with New Year's and Guy Fawkes Night. Who laugh when you talk about the 4th and crack jokes about why anyone should care. People who don't get that you yell "Oh!!!" at the top of your lungs when we get to the line "Oh say, does that Star-Spangled Banner yet wave..." But then...I suppose that last is basically anyone who isn't from Maryland.

So, in the spirit of being as patriotic as I want to be, I'm joining ranks with another American to don my red, white, and blue and talk about cookouts and cute 4th of July craft projects, and the old "50 Nifty United States" song that we used to sing in elementary school (not primary school as it gets called over here!). And yeah, I totally just went there with the song...now you'll be singing that, too. (I also purposefully found the most annoying version of it possible on YouTube...which is much slower than I remember singing it.)

Happy Independence Day, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment